Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Babying my Babies

Come on, how could I not baby these boys?


I am very guilty of babying my kids beyond the point of necessity. For example, I got up in the middle of the night every night and gave Max a bottle until he was 14 months old. Yeah, I know, ridiculous. I want to say lesson learned but I could feel myself heading in the same direction with Micah. I guess it hit me when I was reading a Parents Magazine article about mistakes we make as parents. One of the big mistakes was tending to your child at every little whimper or fuss in the middle of the night. I completely did this with Max and I do it now with Micah. So last night I decided I was going to change. Every time Micah woke and fussed I just laid in bed and waited a minute. To my surprise, he not only didn't starve to death, he went right back to sleep. Who knew. Now the next thing to change is putting Micah in his nursery because he is still sleeping in his bassinet at 6 months old. I am just finishing weaning him so I know its time to move him. I think these things are so hard for me because I know I am not having any more kids and its so final. No more babies sleeping next to me in their bassinets. No more bonding through breastfeeding. I don't think it matters how many kids you have, one of them has to be the last one and I think its normal to feel a sadness that these precious little moments are over. Jason made fun of me recently when I switched Micah to a bigger diaper size and came out of the nursery holding his little diaper and said with tears in my eyes, "we will never have this little of diaper in our house again." I think I was hormonal but still. Its fun to watch them grow and discover the world but its hard at the same time. I guess that's why we take a million pictures of our kids. So we can capture all of those great moments that seem to pass so quickly. I am truly blessed to have them!

6 comments:

TAITx3 said...

Amen.
Just think the future.... you will have those little diapers again when your baby boys brings their babies to come and visit!!! It's never the end.
I have to admit, I do baby my boys also. I just haven't tried the "let him cry it out" yet. Maybe i will never get there...... ~kt

Carol and Dan said...

You captured motherhood in that post, Stephanie!
I remember seeing my mom tear up in church on the Sunday that they announced Cheryl's class's graduation. I asked why she was sad and said it was because her baby was all grown up. At the time she still had 2 in high school and one in 6th grade, so I thought she was being overly dramatic. But I totally get it now!!!
I also remember (vividly) the night we let Amya "cry it out" for the first time...also at 6 months of age...and the emotions that went along with that. It was a great choice for us. We're all happier when I've had enough sleep and Amya sleeps like a champ now!

KrazyMom said...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with babying your babies! You are right, they grow in the blink of an eye! While it is sad to see them getting bigger there is also a lot to look forward to. Watching them develop their talents, find new hobbies, grow as individuals is just as exciting!

The Jaymac Clan said...

crying it out is hard, but it really works and makes life so much easier. I'm with you Carol, its much better for everyone in our house when I get some sleep. I'm just glad Micah didn't even cry, just fussed for a minute. Max screamed his head off. So glad I had the difficult child first!

Carol and Dan said...

We're assuming we had the difficult child first as well! (it's GOT to easier) ;) ....c.

Cindy said...

aww mama, I hear ya! Most of these parts of parenting are definaately harder on us then they are the children. And if it makes you feel any better, Robbie makes fun of me everytime we go to Osh Gosh I buy Caden a next size up jeans...I hold them up to see how "huge" they are and cry. Robbie calls me ridiculous and leaves the store :)....and I plan on having more children.