Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The breast milk incident

So its really not easy or fun to pump at work. When you work on an ambulance its not like you get scheduled lunch breaks so I end up pumping when ever and where ever I get the chance. Yesterday I pumped in the hospital bathroom twice, in the back of the ambulance while we were going down the road once and at our station. Luckily I only work two days a week so its not so bad. I usually work with men and they are all pretty understanding and good about this. Yesterday I worked with Doug who has three kids and understands the hole pumping issue. However, when my breast milk storage bag leaked yesterday and about six ounces of breast milk leaked out of the storage bag, through the cooler pack and onto his coat I don't think he was very impressed. Doug is a very conservative, nice, easy going guy and didn't say anything but I could tell he was a bit horrified. So I apologized twenty times and then washed his coat for him. I not only felt like an idiot for getting breast milk all over the ambulance but I felt so mad because I had lost 6 ounces. I treat breast milk like its gold. Its hard work getting your freezer packed full of milk and I actually get a little stressed when I see my supply depleting. its almost like I feel that I could not possible feed my baby if it runs out. like its the only breast milk on the planet and formula doesn't exist and if I don't replenish that supply Micah may starve to death. I know this sounds ridiculous but when I saw that I had lost all of that breast milk yesterday my heart sank. I was instantly thinking that I had used 4 bags of milk out of the freezer and I was only going to put two back in and that meant I would be short at some time in the future. A bit crazy I know. So the moral of the story is........double bag your breast milk.

3 comments:

Carol and Dan said...

I totally know what you're talking about!!!! I over-produced to fill up the freezer, but in no time the "padded supply" was gone! Dan and I called it "liquid gold"!! hahah
I left a bag at work over a weekend once (expired by Monday) and I almost cried! :) .....c.

The Jaymac Clan said...

I think it is liquid gold. I have heard that atheletes will pay up to $50 a gallon for breast milk because its so nutrious. Jason jokes that he's going to hook me up like a cow and start selling it on ebay.

TAITx3 said...

I'm speechless. ~kt