Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Not something you see everyday!

Yesterday I worked. Jason had a late meeting last night so the boys had to stay at daycare until I could pick them when I got out of work at 7. At 1:30 I got a transfer to Troy. I knew that if we didn't waste anytime I could make it back by 7 to pick up the boys. I told my partner we were on a tight schedule and not wasting any time. That's so me. So we did the transfer and headed home.

As we made to to M-20 in Midland, the Garmin told us we would back at 6:57. Perfect I thought. Of course that thought no more than crossed my mind when a car going about 85 mph with his hazard lights on flew by us. Keep in mind the speed limit is 55 here. Two seconds later I hear my partner say, "Oh man that guy is going to try to make that turn." The next thing we know that car missed his turn and ran into the side of the a house. We instantly turn around and go to the scene of this accident. This process of turning around takes only about 20 seconds but by the time we get to the car, the driver is already gone and running down the street.

So shortly after a hysterical woman shows up and tells us that that's her husband's car in the side of the house. She advised us that her father, who was on hospice, just passed away and her husband was on his way to see him. So sure enough, the police find this guy at his father-in-laws house just a street over.

So this is what I don't get. You know that when someone is on hospice they are dying. So it should be no big surprise to you when they die. I understand that the sorrow is no less but you know its coming. So why drive 85 mph so see a dead man you can do nothing for. And then, why not take two seconds to make sure you didn't kill anyone in the house that you just ran into at 85 mph? I am giving this guy idiot of century award!

So no one ended up being hurt but we had to stay on scene 40 minutes to give a statement to the police. I left work at 7:45 and luckily Jason got out of his meeting early was able to pick up the boys from daycare. This is what I get for planning and always trying to do things my way. lol.

No comments: