Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Milk, it does a body good or not.

I have small dilemma, Iam quite particular about the boys drinking organic milk. I don't buy a lot of organic things but I do buy the milk. I just don't like the fact that regular milk is packed full of anti-biotics and growth hormones. I have heard a lot of speculation about the reason girls are going through puberity so early is from the growth hormones in milk. Yikes. So my dilemma is organic milk cost $5.69 a gallon and regular milk right now costs $1.77.........yeah I know. This wouldn't be a big deal if I was buying a gallon or two a week but the boys go through a gallon of milk in a day and a half. now when you buy that much milk it really starts to add up. So do I suck it up and pay the big bucks or do I suck it up and let the boys have things that aren't good for them. My boys are already going to be taller than me by the time they are five, I don't think I should give them any growth hormones.

7 comments:

SRT and LST said...

If I were you, I'd just buy a dairy cow.

Mitch Carb said...

Just to with regular milk. I've been drinking it for 26 years and I'm fine. Well, mostly fine...there is the twitch I have developed, the 12 toes and strong urge to moo every once in a while. Other than that, no problems here!

The Jaymac Clan said...

we were thinking to buy a goat, jason ws raised on goat's milk, but the nieghbors might complain. actually, its sad but they probably wouldn't complain.

The Jaymac Clan said...

Mitch, the 12 toes and the twitch are probably from the TRIS in your house.

Carol and Dan said...

Stephanie, I think it's great that you guy organic milk. Buying organic is a great way to suport the industry, but it doesn't always make a big difference in the quality of food. The exceptions are fuits and veggies where you eat the skin, meats and dairy, milk in particular. If I where to only buy one organic food item, it would be milk.
The other side of the coin is, how much milk do we really need? Americans are one of the few cultures that drink a lot of milk, cow's milk, anyway. I'm sure the boys get a lot of vitamins, minerals and healthy fat in the food they eat. You may be able to cut back the amount they drink, or mix it with water, now that they are older.
I'm with you on the growth hormones. They scare me, too!....c.

Kelz said...

Hey Steph! Long time no talk (as per the usual :( )
I wanted to tell you that Ryan and I have set our wedding date (I will get my engagement ring in a few months...we're going somewhat out of order I suppose, haha)
I have started working on a knot.com site for us. If you'd like to internet stalk me like I love to stalk you and the fam, it's www.theknot.com/ourwedding/kellyblugerman&ryancollins

I hope that you are all well and I will talk to you soon! Take care and I miss you guys a ton!

The Jaymac Clan said...

I make sure the boys get lots of fruit and veggies and I could cut back on their milk but thats all Max wants to drink. He doesn't want juice at all. He is a total milk drinker. telling him he can't have milk is like telling him he can't have air. its crazy. I should try harder I guess.